Following the postponement of the 2020 AMUG Conference, there are many details to address. The AMUG Board is working through these, and those that have been addressed are reflected in the FAQs that it has received.
Frequently Asked Questions
For your convenience, you can download the FAQs document here.
In response to Postponement of 2020 AMUG Conference
Posted 03/18/20 – AMUG will continue to make updates as needed
Thank you everyone for your support as we work through the details of postponing the AMUG Conference. Below is a list of questions we have received and would like to share with you the answers. If your question is not answered below, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you – The AMUG Team
- General Questions
- Conference Registration
- Hotel and Travel
- SME/UL Course Registration
- ASTM Workshop Registration
- Sponsor and Exhibitor
- Sponsor and Exhibitor Shipments
- AMUG Board Elections
Q. What is the new date for the AMUG Conference?
A. The AMUG Conference for 2020 will now be held March 14-18, 2021.
Q. Where will the conference be held?
A. The 2021 AMUG Conference will be held at the Hilton Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
Q. Will you host a virtual conference or offer content already created for the 2020 AMUG Conference?
A. AMUG is in the process of assessing a virtual program. As soon as we have additional information we will share with the AMUG community.
IMPORTANT NOTE: AMUG does not sell or supply the attendee list to any 3rd parties, sponsors or exhibitors. We caution all to refrain from purchasing lists or participating in any activities branded as AMUG without an official notification posted on the AMUG website. Communication regarding AMUG programs will be first announced through the AMUG website and direct email from AMUG. Please be cautious when registering for programs branded as AMUG. Use the AMUG website as a guide for all sponsor programs approved by AMUG.
Q. Can I still get a copy of the AMUG Proceedings?
A. AMUG will not be producing proceedings for the sessions originally planned for March 22 – 26, 2020.
Q. Why did it take so long to postpone the conference?
A. AMUG leadership remained diligently watchful on the rapidly evolving COVID-19 from a global, national, state and local level. The official ruling by the World Health Organization of a global pandemic combined with Illinois declaration of a state-of-emergency indicated the need for reconsideration. While a postponement was being discussed by the Board of Directors, the U.S. President declared a travel ban from Europe. With these rulings and declarations, the AMUG Board postponement was the best course of action for all parties.
Q. Why can’t AMUG be postponed to later this year (why wait until 2021)?
A. Until the virus and its impact is fully understood, AMUG’s stance continues to be focused on our members’ health and our industry’s wellbeing. While postponing the event to a future date in 2020 may sound feasible, there are a number of reasons that highlight a precautionary stance and postponement until 2021.
- Covid-19 information is changing daily. The scope of the virus, as well as the physiological and economic impact, is still being determined by Federal, State and Local Governments. The AMUG Board is in agreement that it is in the best interest of its members to postpone the conference to 2021 to provided enough time for the actions implemented by the CDC and the Government to have been vetted and shown to be successful at combating the virus.
- The AMUG conference was set to hold over 200 speaker and workshop sessions. It takes nearly a year to organize, schedule and receive commitments from the participating individuals and companies, whom are also proud members and sponsors. AMUG’s success is built upon the passion of these individuals; rescheduling would likely create far too many conflicts of interest.
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION QUESTIONS
Q. Will I receive a refund for my conference registration fee, sponsorship fee or exhibitor fee?
A. If requested (see below), yes. Otherwise, the 2020 conference registration fee will be applied to the 2021 conference.
Q. If I want to cancel our registration (and not apply it to 2021) can I receive a refund?
A. AMUG has announced registration for attendees, sponsors and exhibitors for the 2020 AMUG Conference will be applied to the postponement dates of March 14-18, 2021. However, should you need a refund for the 2020 AMUG Conference, please read the details and follow the instructions below:
- Attendee Registrations:
- All registrations canceled through CVent after the February 22, 2020 deadline will be automatically reinstated.
- Attendee registrations are offered full refunds of their paid registration fees upon request made prior to midnight on March 31, 2020. Attendee must complete the provided form (link below), and refunds will be made using the same method as that used for payment. If refunds are to be made by check, wire transfer, or ACH, all pertinent information must be provided within the request form.
- Upon receipt of the refund request, AMUG membership status will be nullified. As a non-member, individuals will not have certain privileges, such as voting rights or inclusion in any Member activities that may be conducted prior to the 2021 conference date. Upon registering for and attending the 2021 event, you will once again be an AMUG Member.
- Registration will reopen with an attendee fee of $995; the early-bird rate of $895 will not be offered. Registration will be available at a later date that has yet to be determined.
To receive a refund for your registration, complete the refund form at:
- Sponsors and Exhibitors:
- Sponsors and Exhibitors will be offered full refunds of any payments received by AMUG for sponsorship packages (Diamond, Titanium, Platinum Plus, Platinum, Gold Plus, Gold, Silver and Bronze) and Exhibitor booths, upon request made prior to midnight on March 31, 2020. The registered point of contact must complete the refund form, and refunds will be made using the same method as that for payment. If refunds are to be made by check, wire transfer, or ACH, all pertinent information must be provided within the request form.
- Any sponsor requesting a full refund will forfeit their current booth space, and it will be made available to the next in line on the waiting list. Priority ranking will be reassessed when registration resumes.
- All marketing and promotional activity will cease upon receipt of refund request.
- Those that wish to maintain their sponsorship for the postponed event (e.g. refund not requested), will receive all of the marketing benefits for the remainder of 2020 and throughout the sponsorship marketing period for 2021.
To receive a refund for your sponsorship or exhibitor booth, complete the refund form at:
Q. If I already canceled my registration, can I re-instate it to be applied to 2021 AMUG Conference?
A. AMUG has announced registration for attendees, sponsors and exhibitors for the 2020 AMUG Conference will be applied to the new postponed date of March 14-18, 2021. All canceled registrations through CVent after the February 22, 2020 deadline will be automatically reinstated. However, should you need a refund for the 2020 AMUG Conference, please read the details and instructions in the above question.
Q. Can I get a refund for our speakers or guests?
A. Yes, the refund process (above) applies to all fees paid for an individual to participate in the conference and related activities.
Q. How will this carryover to 2021 work when things can change over the next year?
A. Should an individual within your company not be able to attend the AMUG Conference, you can substitute any employee of your organization for that registration. This applies to attendees, speakers, guests and staff.
Q. I missed the Early Bird registration and paid a higher fee for attending. Can I get a refund and then re-register at the $895 early-bird rate?
A. When AMUG re-opens for registration, the registration fee will be at the standard rate of $995.
HOTEL AND TRAVEL QUESTIONS
Q. How do I cancel my hotel reservation?
A. Hilton Chicago reservations – AMUG has already coordinated with the Hilton Chicago to cancel all room reservations made under the AMUG room block. The hotel will waive all cancellation fees, and you should receive an email confirming your reservation has been canceled. The statement will indicate “late cancellation,” however you will not receive a cancellation fee. Please call the hotel if you in fact will be travelling and need to keep your room reservation active.
Palmer House reservations – AMUG has already coordinated with the Palmer House to cancel all room reservations made under the AMUG room block. The hotel will waive all cancellation fees, and you should receive an email confirming your reservation has been canceled. The statement will indicate “late cancellation,” however you will not receive a cancellation fee. Please call the hotel if you in fact will be travelling and need to keep your room reservation active.
If your reservation was made at the Hilton Chicago or Palmer House outside the AMUG room block you are responsible for canceling your reservations directly with the hotel.
Reservations made at any other hotel will need to be canceled by contacting the hotel directly.
Q. I canceled my hotel room a week prior to the postponement, and since it was less than 14 days cancellation, Hilton charged a penalty of one night. Can I be reimbursed?
A. Please email email@example.com with your name and cancellation number, and the AMUG Event Manager will investigate.
Q. Can we push our hotel reservations to 2021?
A. Unfortunately, no. The Hilton Chicago and Palmer House Hilton are not offering an option to reschedule your stay for 2021. Individuals and companies will need to rebook hotel reservations when the new booking site for AMUG 2021 is opened later this year.
Q. Will AMUG reimburse my hotel and travel costs?
A. Reimbursement considerations are only for the AMUG Conference registration fees. AMUG does not reimburse for travel or hotel expenses. View AMUG Terms and Conditions.
SME/UL COURSE REGISTRATION
Q. Will SME/UL Technician Course still be held March 21-22?
A. With the postponement of AMUG 2020, the SME/UL Technician Course will be rescheduled. UL will be
reaching out to all registered attendees. Should you have questions in the meantime, please contact: Jaimie Christie (JChristie@sme.org; (313) 425-3095) or Sue Moss (Sue.Moss@ul.com; (847) 664-1563).
Q. Who do I contact to refund my course-fee?
A. Please contact SME/UL directly.
ASTM WORKSHOP REGISTRATION
Q. Will ASTM still hold their workshop on March 22?
A. With the postponement of AMUG, the ASTM Workshop will be postponed. All registrants for the ASTM Workshop will be contacted directly by the ASTM team.
Q. Who do I contact to refund my ASTM Workshop fee?
A. Please contact ASTM directly.
Q. I was scheduled to speak at AMUG, will I receive a refund?
A. Please see FAQ regarding cancellations and refunds under the Conference Registration section.
Q. Will my speaking session be rescheduled for 2021?
A. The agenda, tracks and topics are all subject to change, so AMUG cannot guarantee that those scheduled to present in 2020 will be included in the 2021 program. However, while building the 2021 sessions, AMUG will first consider those that had made the commitment to speak in 2020.
Additionally, AMUG is considering a virtual forum for some presentations that may take place prior to the 2021 conference. Over the next few months, we will be working with the Agenda team to determine how to proceed, and if appropriate, contact you to determine your interest in participating.
SPONSOR AND EXHIBITOR QUESTIONS
Q. Will the sponsorship package/pricing be the exact same for 2021?
A. All 2020 Sponsorship packages will be honored for 2021. However, should any unforeseen issues arise that cause AMUG to change the structure, you will be contacted by the Vice Presidents at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. What if I want to change my sponsorship level?
A. Please contact the AMUG Vice Presidents at email@example.com to discuss further.
Q. Will our booth placement be the same? Same booth number?
A. At this time, we cannot confirm that all booths will remain in the same location. Due to programs that may occur prior to the AMUG Conference and possible new regulations that might be put in place, AMUG will monitor the situation and work with the hotel and fire marshal to evaluate the floor plan. We will be reaching out to sponsors and exhibitors in the next two months to discuss booth placement for 2021.
Q. Can we change our presentations and workshops? Will our presentations have the same time slots and locations?
A. Yes, changes to presentations and workshops will be accepted. However, we cannot guarantee that the day, time and location will be unchanged. Those items are dependent on room availability in the Hilton Chicago, which may change based on other events (before, during and after AMUG 2021) that the hotel hosts.
Q. Will we (sponsor/exhibitor) get a refund for purchasing additional lead retrieval systems or qualifiers for the lead retrieval system?
A. Yes, if you purchased an additional lead retrieval system or qualifier from AMUG’s authorized lead retrieval company Lead Interactions. A full refund will be processed by Lead Interactions as soon as they receive the returned shipment of lead retrieval units from the hotel.
Q. Will we get our money back for additional registration tickets not used?
A. Please see FAQ regarding cancellations and refunds under the Conference Registration section.
Q. How can we obtain a copy of the registration list?
A. AMUG follows GDPR regulations and does not supply a list of attendees to sponsors, exhibitors or 3rd party vendors.
SPONSOR AND EXHIBITOR SHIPMENT QUESTIONS
Q. How long will it take to get our shipments back from the warehouse?
A. The AMUGexpo team is working with Red Oak and the warehouse to finalize details. Once the process has been put in place, the team will reach out to you directly.
Q. We sent shipments directly to the hotel? Will someone be there to receive and return to sender?
A. If you shipped items directly to the Hilton Chicago, the hotel shipping department managed by FedEx will begin by calling the contact number on the shipping label. If that individual cannot be reached the shipping department will then reach out to the individual that is listed on the hotel reservation. If the shipping department is unable to reach the recipient, they reach out to the sender to make arrangements for return shipments. Either way, the shipping department tries not to keep packages for long periods, so they are continually trying to return the packages to the owners or senders.
Q. Can I send my Freight Carrier to collect my items from the warehouse? How do I get my shipment returned?
A. AMUG has been working with Red Oak to determine the best course of action to have items shipped to the Advanced Warehouse returned to sponsors and exhibitors. Please follow the instructions below.
- All sponsors and exhibitors will need to complete a Bill of Landing (BOL) supplied by Red Oak.
- BOL can be found on the Service Center portal / AMUG website. The Service Center portal will require your Red Oak login; contact Red Oak should you need to have it resent to you.
- Submit the BOL to: Roger Mitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note: UPS is offering an 85% discount to ship all items back to your originating location, or its next destination.
- We strongly encourage and recommend all sponsors and exhibitors to use UPS freight to ship their items to their next destination. If you cannot use UPS as a freight carrier, please let Red Oak know at your earliest opportunity.
- The UPS Advanced Warehouse is not set up or designed for various freight carriers to pick up items.
- If another freight carrier is required, it may have to wait until all other items have been shipped out.
- There will be a surcharge for using your own carrier.
- Further questions about this please contact Roger at Red Oak.
Q. Will AMUG cover the cost to ship my items back to me or to the next destination?
A. No, AMUG will not cover the cost of returning your shipment to you.
Q. Do I need to cancel my exhibitor services and additional items with Red Oak?
A. Red Oak will provide a full refund automatically on all items except for those that were custom ordered (i.e. graphics, tablecloths).
Q. How do I cancel my services order through the hotel (i.e. additional electrical)?
A. The Hilton Chicago has canceled all Boomer transactions, and you will receive a full refund as well as a cancellation notice.
Q. What about the giveaways and/or other things that I shipped to the advance warehouse marked “Attention: Mark Barfoot”?
A. Our intent is to reuse these giveaways for next year’s conference. AMUG is arranging a way to store them until next year’s conference and then bring them to that event. If you would rather have them shipped back to you, or there is something specific you need sent back to you, please contact Mark Barfoot at email@example.com, and he will work with our logistics team to get them sent back.
AMUG BOARD ELECTIONS
Q. What happens with the Board elections scheduled for the 2020 Conference?
A. The AMUG Board is working with the corporation’s lawyer to determine the best course of action. Once the decision has been made, communication will be issued to AMUG members.