The program(s) listed below are NOT included with AMUG Conference registration. Participation requires separate registration and is at an additional cost.
ASTM Certificate Course
Establishing an Additive Manufacturing Facility for Critical Part Production
- Saturday, April 2 (8:00am – 5:00pm)
- Sunday, April 3 (8:00am – 3:00pm)
- Youping Gao, Castheon Inc.
- Shane Collins, ASTM International
Course Location: AMUG 2022, Chicago, IL
This course is aimed at individuals with existing experience in AM, who wish to understand all the information needed to update an existing facility or create a new facility for the purpose of manufacturing safety critical parts using the laser powder bed fusion process with metal powders.
The 2-day training, based on ISO and ASTM standards, will provide both the seasoned AM professional and novices with all the requirements needed to update an existing facility or start a new business for the purpose of manufacturing safety critical parts using PBF-LB. The course will provide detailed instruction on all aspects of the operations from feedstock selection and qualification to processing and post processing (IQ, OQ, PQ) using real life candidate parts from the attendees.
Topics covered include:
- Equipment selection based on candidate parts and ROI calculations
- Facility considerations, requirements, and controls
- Establishing factory and site acceptance tests
- Workflow and efficiency
- Make or buy decisions with post processing
- Machine calibration and certification
- Metallurgical process qualification
- QMS for all powder bed fusion work instruction
- Digital twin definition
- Part qualification considerations
- Business plans and growth strategy
- Personnel training requirements
- Preventive maintenance
- Manufacturing plan creation
- Inspection and NDE for production
- Considerations for NASA 6030 spec
- In-situ monitoring
Exam will be 2 weeks after the training event, held online. After successful completion of the course, the participants will receive an ASTM AM Certificate.
Cost: $649 (early bird – ends on March 2)/$799
Maximum class size: 50
Certified Additive Manufacturing – Fundamentals (CAM-F) Review Course & Exam
- Sunday, April 3 (7:30am – 3:00pm)
- Sheku Kamara, MSOE
Course Location: AMUG 2022, Chicago, IL
This one-day program includes a review course covering the foundations of additive manufacturing, followed by the Certified Additive Manufacturing – Fundamentals (CAM-F) exam. The review course and certification are ideal for individuals working in or seeking to work in additive manufacturing roles in automotive, aerospace, and medical equipment. It is also ideal for high schools and colleges as a capstone or stand-alone achievement to increase workforce readiness in additive manufacturing.
The four-hour review course is a discussion-oriented and interactive session with learning activities in which participants receive comprehensive introductory knowledge of the 3D printing technology and industry. Covering terms and definitions, software and hardware as well as discussing applications and case studies for each technology, you will begin to understand the benefits of 3D printing in a way that is relevant to your business needs. The course outline is aligned with the Additive Manufacturing Body of Knowledge (AMBOK) outlining the current state-of knowledge in additive manufacturing, as well as areas that have been identified as important by a wide range of additive manufacturing professionals.
- Identify the various 3D printing technologies & their benefits/limitations
- Define the basic 3D printing process
- Understand the benefits of 3D printing over traditional manufacturing processes
- Understand the hardware & software for 3D digital file management
- Identify common materials for each 3D printing technology
- Identify basic safety & quality considerations specific to 3D printing
Following the review course, participants will take the Certified Additive Manufacturing – Fundamentals (CAM-F) exam. The three-hour exam consists of 100 multiple choice questions and allows for open book and open notes. With a passing score of 70% or higher, individuals will be officially certified and may use the CAM-F designation.
- Duration: 7:30am – 3:00pm
- Review Program: 7:30am – 11:30am
- Lunch Break: 11:30am – 12:00pm
- Exam: 12:00pm – 3:00pm