3DSUG NEWS | JANUARY 2010
Dear 3D Systems Equipment User,
Final Agenda coming soon!
Visit www.3dsug.org for future announcements!
Make your conference registration in
Santa Fe, New Mexico today!
A Word from the Chair
As we closed the first decade of the new millennium we look back and realize how much our technologies have evolved, face the new challenges inside our industry, and look at the exciting opportunities ahead. The 3DSUG is here to keep providing the grounds for the networking and collaboration efforts that have taken us this far. I am pleased to report that your executive board has been working hard to make our first time in Santa Fe, New Mexico very special. We’ve heard the voices of new and all-time members, and this year we are providing a program that tackles all aspects of interest to you. If you are still trying to make up your mind about this year’s conference…here are some highlights that can help you realize the value of our conference, so go to www.3dsug.org and sign-up now.
1. Our keynote speaker Todd Grimm will provide his outlook about our industry . Considering the current changing environment it is the right time for our group to learn about the current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that our technologies face.
2. Dr. David Bourell from The University of Texas at Austin will brief us on the results from a meeting of sixty five industrial, academic and government experts who gathered for two days in the Washington DC metro area in late March 2009 to develop a roadmap for additive manufacturing research for the next 10 years.
3. Officers from the ASTM F42 Committee for the development of standards for additive manufacturing will join us and give us an update on the development of ASTM standards for our technologies. What has been accomplished, what is being done, and how these standards will impact the way we do business.
4. This year take advantage of 3DSystems full commitment and support to our group and learn about the latest developments from 3DSystems, what is going on with their new materials, new equipment, and the new corporate strategy. Get hands on training on new equipment directly from the OEM and all at no additional cost to you. Special thanks to Cathy Lewis, VP Global Marketing for 3D Systems!
5. Learn about new materials, new technology, and revolutionary applications from DSM Somos.
6. You asked for more value-added training at no cost, YOU GOT IT! A $400-Value MAGICS RP Software training session. Oh yes….For the first time, FREE!! and scheduled so that you don’t have to stay an extra day or miss other important presentations.Special thanks to Jamie Milas and Materialise.
7. Get hands-on experience and training in silicon molding and urethane castings all from one of the world experts Mr. Derek Ellis from Met-L-Flo.
8. Learn from 3D Scanning and Reverse engineering experts about how to tailor these technologies for SLS and SLA.
9. Learn all the new developments and the intricacies of RP Parts Plating, Parts Finishing and post processing. Special thanks go to Sean Wise from Repliform Inc. and Metalise-It America for sponsoring our group.
10. Gain priceless knowledge from all the technical presentations and break-out sessions. Special thanks go out to all our presenters and volunteers.
11. Last but not least…..HAVE FUN with colleagues and be part of our Tuesday Awards Banquet featuring a much better planned bus route!!!
Luis Folgar, Paramount Industries & 3DSUG Chairperson
2010 3DSUG Conference
T.A. Grimm & Associates
Todd Grimm is the founder and president of T. A. Grimm & Associates, Inc. and is its principal marketing specialist and technology consultant. His experience includes 17 years in the product development industry. In that time, he has held positions in sales, sales management, business management and marketing. Prior to starting the company, he was the marketing manager for what became one of the leading rapid prototyping service bureaus. For more information, visit: www.tagrimm.com
Thank you to all of the Vendors and Sponsors that have committed to the 2010 conference. As an independent user organization we rely solely on your contributions to make the event possible. Every year we always work to provide a format that will be of value for everyone. The 3DSUG needs participation to exist. Many Vendors and Sponsors were unable to participate last year, so this year your participation will be important to maintain the level of our event. It is only through your commitment to attend and support the 3DSUG that we can have the truly world class user meeting that you have come to know and expect.
We ask Vendors and Sponsor that contributed last year to please do so again, and we invite those that did not to do so and use the event in Santa Fe as an opportunity to connect with new contacts and customers.
We would also again ask users to tell us of potential vendors that could be of a benefit to other users, please send us contact information so that we can invite them for the 2010 event.
Tim Gornet, University of Louisville Rapid Prototyping Center Operations
3DSUG Vice Chairpersons
3D Systems Corp To Attend
3DSUG Annual Conference
April 25-29, 2010
Santa Fe, New Mexico
The stakes have been raised with all of the recent enhancements to SLA, SLS, materials and 3D Printing systems and solutions so we need to provide updates and offer the opportunity for knowledge transfer to all interested 3DSUG attendees. Our idea of knowledge transfer? The experts and actual users of our systems will share the latest technology and material formulations and describe how they impact your designs and your operations. Lastly, we are very excited about 3DProparts, our recent entry into parts services, and invite the attendees to sample our capabilities and join us in this important offering. We want to build on past relationships and begin a dialog with new users – this is an unprecedented time for our industry and we look forward to seeing you all this April in Santa Fe!
3D Systems is a leading provider of 3-D Printing, Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing systems and parts solutions. Its expertly integrated solutions reduce the time and cost of designing products and facilitate direct and indirect manufacturing by creating actual parts directly from digital input. These solutions are used for design communication and prototyping as well as for production of functional end-use parts: Our customers Create With Confidence.
Create With Confidence
More information on the company is available at www.3Dsystems.com, www.modelin3D.com, www.toptobottomdental.com, www.3Dproparts.com, www.mqast.com, http://blog.3Dsystems.com, www.3Dsystems.com/ir or via email at moreinfo@3Dsystems.com.
Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great Holiday season. Now that we are back to reality, we are only three and a half months away from the start of the 3DSUG Conference. The Executive Board is finalizing the agenda, so if you would like to present please contact Louis Folgar so he can put you on the agenda.
The golf outing registration is on line (www.3dsug.org) so if you are planning on playing please sign up. If you have any questions about the golf outing contact Bob Dzugan (firstname.lastname@example.org) If you are interested in either the fly fishing or rafting please contact Kevin Ayers (email@example.com) or Derek Ellis (Derek.firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. If anyone is planning to bring their spouse, family, significant other, I was thinking of setting up a Mexican Food cooking class in downtown Santa Fe if I get enough interest. The cost should be around $100.00 per person including transportation. If you know anyone that might be interested please let me know.
Hotel reservations are going smoothly however if you have any problems please contact me immediately at email@example.com or (248) 576-5686.
Remember we also need your help in recruiting new and old members to attend this years Conference, so please put fourth an extra effort to reach out to these members.
See you in Santa Fe!
Magics RP Training: by Evan Kirby
Learn how to use Magics RP for maximum process efficiency. Find out how to: hollow (shell) parts to make them lighter/faster to build, offset to add/remove material from features, use advanced fixing techniques to give you the ability to fix almost any defect, make quick/accurate cuts that will reassemble in only one fashion, and customize the user interface to make Magics work most efficiently for you. Also learn the latest additions to Magics 14!
Evan Kirby has been in the Rapid Prototyping industry since 2001. Evan works for Materialise, USA, as a Technical Instructor training students from more than 100 different companies, including: Gillette, HP, and Raytheon. He was previously employed as a technical instructor for Flow International Corporation and served in the US Navy as a Nuclear Technician/Instructor.
For more information about Materialise products, visit: www.materialise.com
Your registration is not complete until your payment is received, if you are not paying with credit card, send check payments payable to 3DSUG, Inc. to the following address:
C/O Guy Bourdeau, Treasurer
1297 Pine Burr Dr
Lugoff, SC 29078-9378
If you have any questions, the best thing to do is to email or call me at (954)559-3728.